The term infection or contagion has several 'definitions' :
- Presence of a microorganism in a particular host.
- Penetration of the pathogen into the organism, multiplication inside and adverse effects on its surfaces (in contrast to colonization with non-pathogenic or pathogenic microbes without disease symptoms).
- Conflict between the microbe and its host (even asymptomatic infection).
Course of infection[edit | edit source]
The course and severity of an infection can be affected by several factors: From the microbe:
- infectious dose.
By the macroorganism:
- level of non-specific resistance - general fitness, genetic factors (population resistance);
- specific immunity - primary, secondary reactions;
- age, nutrition, life style.
- environmental influences (eg seasonal fluctuations - respiratory infections in dry weather),
- gateway infection (eg tularemia).
Stages of infection[edit | edit source]
- Incubation Period;
- period of prodromal symptoms - non-specific symptoms;
- typical syndrome;
- convalescence - relapse may occur;
- recurrence - after healing.
Forms of infection[edit | edit source]
According to manifestation:
- Subclinical - uncharacteristic symptoms.
- Abortive - little expressed symptoms.
- Clinical form of infection - all symptoms expressed.
- By range
- Local (possibly also focal).
- Systemic (sometimes referred to as massive) - if it affects the whole system or a substantial part of it (eg flu, pulmonary TB, meningitis, pyelonephritis…).
- Generalized (regularly eg typhoid fever, rickettsiosis, most exanthematous viruses.
- According to the course
- Acute (days).
- Subacute (months).
- Chronic (years).
- Asymptomatic chronic infections.
- Mainly viruses, bacteria - Rickettsia prowazekii , Chlamydia trachomatis , Salmonella typhi , [[Mycobacterium tuberculosis] ]] .
- Persistent - agent present in infectious detectable form.
- Latent - in the body in a non-infectious form.
Links[edit | edit source]
Similar articles[edit | edit source]
Source[edit | edit source]
- JANSKÝ, Petr. Zpracované otázky z mikrobiologie [online]. [cit. 2012-02-03]. <https://www.yammer.com/wikiskripta.eu/uploaded_files/3804405>.