Hepatocytes make up about 80% of the cells in the liver.
- are large polyhedral epithelial cells, with large round centrally located nuclei (2 or more)
- grouped in interconnected plates that are arranged into thousand of small polyhedral lobules
- store glucose in the form of glycogen , also vitamin B12, folic acid and iron
- participate in the turnover and transport of lipids.
- synthesize some of the plasma proteins (albumin, α and β globulins, prothrombin, fibrinogen
- metabolize/detoxify fat
- participate in the turnover of steroid hormones.
- regulates cholesterol level
- secrete bile (up to 1 liter per day)
Links[edit | edit source]
Related Articles[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]