Help:Interface and settings
If you come to WikiLectures and log in, you can see two menus: first menu is on the left side under the logo of WikiLectures and second (personal menu) is on the top. Then you see some links above the article: icons Page (paper icon), Discussion (talk bubble icon), Edit (pencil icon), View history (clock icon), and Others on the right side above the heading of the article. At the top in the orange bar you see the Search field, where you can search either the name of the article, or use fulltext search clicking on the magnifier image.
Name of an article usually consists of two parts: the part before the colon (:) and the second part. The second part is the name itself, while the first part is a namespace. For example, this article is named “Help:Interface and settings”. Help is the name of the namespace and Interface and settings is the name of this article itself. There are various namespaces (e.g. Help, Forum, Talk, Portal, WikiLectures) and the one, which has no prefix, is called “Main namespace”. Here are all the studying materials stored (e.g. Angelman syndrome).
- Main Page – this link leads to the main page of WikiLectures
- Help – here is the main page of the help
- Create article – click here if you want to create an article, you will find some basic help and a form to create a new article
- Forum – if you want to ask something or just searching for advanced help or want to give us your opinion, click here
- Contacts – our names and contacts to all of the editorial board members
- Toolbox – submenu that contains link to upload a file, create a citation to the article you are reading, permanent link to the article and other useful links
- Recent changes – here the last changes in all Wikilectures articles are listed; this is useful mainly for the editorial board
- Download as PDF – if you want to print an article or create a PDF version, click here
This menu can be found at the top of the page.
- User page – your nickname leads to your user page, where you can write some information about you or store list of your articles, your CV or useful links for you
- My talk – your discussion page, where other users can contact you and write you a message; an orange box will inform you you have unread message at your talk page
- My sandbox – this is the space where you should do your experiments, write notes to your articles or just try to learn wiki code
- My preferences – here you can set your preferences, signature, e-mail notifications and how WikiLectures will be displayed to you when logged in
- My watchlist – track the most recent changes of articles you created or edited anytime in the past. You can add an article to your watchlist either by editing it or by a link on the right side of the heading of the article
- My contribution – list of all your contributions to WikiLectures
- Log out – log out from WikiLectures
There are few links on the right side of the heading of each article
- Page (paper icon) – the page itself with its content
- Discussion page (talk bubble icon) – or talk page; space, where the content of the page can be discussed. Each page has its own talk page and every user has its own discussion page too.
- Edit (pencil icon) – to change the article or write to the discussion page click here
- View history (clock iconú– you can see the history of the article, who did the changes and what changes it were
- Others – for advanced users (moving, deleting the article and other activities)
- Add to bookmarks – Watch/Unwatch, you can add or remove the article to/from your watchlist
Link to your preferences can be found in the personal menu at the top of the page.
In the first tab in your preferences (User profile) you can set your real name, your password and e-mail address. You can choose, which e-mail notifications you want to receive.
The second tab (Appearance) should stay as default, because it affects the appearance of the articles.
In the third tab Date and time you can set format of the date and local time. This will affect the history and recent changes of the articles.
The tab Editing is for those who will edit the articles. You can set the width of the edit field, some links and set the appearance of the edit toolbar, differences and previews.
If you want to change the way how the Recent changes are displayed, visit the tab Recent changes.
The tab Watchlist can help you set, how your watchlist will work. You can even generate a link to your watchlist and track the changes of your articles through RSS reader!
If you want to search an article in specific namespaces or you want to disable suggestions, visit the tab Search options.
The tab Gadgets is described at Help:Special tools.